Friday, July 6, 2012

Leaving Today On My Innovative European Vacation


I need a vacation!  Can't AFFORD to travel out of town (never mind out of the country), but I REALLY need a vacation!  These were my thoughts a couple of weeks ago.  Whilst moping over this fact, I happened to notice THIS (left) book on my shelf of knitting books (yes, I have an entire shelf of knitting books ... plus A FEW MORE stashed in a box ...).  I remember being quite enthralled with this book (and the sock patterns in it) when I bought it a year or so ago.  I liked the idea that hand-knit socks are quite universal.  I also wondered what it would be like to actually VISIT each of the locations mentioned in the book.

Well!  The need for a vacation and the idea of travelling to locations mentioned in "Around the World in Knitted Socks" collided in my mind, and within 24 hours, I was mentally listing all the ways I could explore, taste, listen to, and generally experience travelling around the world without leaving home.  This is, after all, the age of the Internetz and global trade.  I can see places and events via Youtube!  I can download and hear music on my Ipod!  I can buy and taste imported wines!  I can read about all sorts thanks to my local public library! 

I set Friday July 6 as my departure date.  I chose that date because I work Monday to Thursday.  No, let me re-phrase that ... I get paid to work Monday to Thursday, but I can usually find plenty of things to do at my office on Fridays.  I am therefore choosing to devote Fridays to a VACATION IN MY MIND ... and y'all are invited to travel along with me!

So, I'm sure you are asking (now that you have absorbed that whole VACATION IN MY MIND thing ... remember, I DID say it was going to be an INNOVATIVE vacation!), exactly where are we travelling TO? 
 I made a list of potential locations (and sock patterns) from "Around the World in Knitted Socks" and decided to start in Spain, then travel on into France.

See that faint white jet stream in the sky?
That's ME ... Friday morning, July 6th,
leaving on a jet plane ... in my mind!

If you're looking for me, I'll be in Spain the public library!  I'll be arriving in Sevilla an air-conditioned corner on the second floor about 10:30 am.
 I'll be finishing these Bamboo sockettes ...
 ... then brushing up on my Spanish.  ¿Me puede dar instrucciones a un almacén que vende lana y agujas de tejer?  I need some black wool to start these Spanish socks:

 I think the cathedral (on the right hand page on "Around the World in Knitted Socks" in the above photo) is located in Sevilla, so that's one of the local sights I intend to check out.  No doubt I will also look for something typically local to eat ... ¿Puede recomendarme un bar de tapas buenas? 

Then I will have to start planning my route through Spain to France.  So until next Friday ...
¡Nos vemos luego!  Mantener tejer feliz!

No comments:

Post a Comment